Thursday, September 24, 2009

Three Word Thursday

Volunteering. Is. Fun.

I really wish I had time or energy to volunteer more. Now that school is back in session - I'm back at the elementary school library for my 2nd year as a "Friend of the Library." Once a week (on Thursdays) I take my lunch hour and head over to the kids' school. I signed up for one 1/2 hour time slot which equals one class visit to the library. It gives me approximately 15 minutes to drive there, 1/2 hour there & 15 minutes back.

This year, I was early signing up & lucky to get Bub's class into my schedule. Which I thought would be good because I could keep up with Bubs and his teacher (little did I know when I signed up how much I really needed to check in with the teacher!)

K's schedule just didn't work out for me and she understood. Her one request was for me to try to stop by the classroom to say hi. The first time I tried to visit, she was off to P.E. Today I went in before I volunteered and reached her just in time as they were getting ready to head out the door. Its amazing though what one minute of visitation will do - she came over & hugged me with a huge smile on her face "Mommm-my!" And it put a smile on my face too, even now, thinking about it. So much love passed between us in that one little hug!!

From there I went back to the Library. Bubs was line leader today, so he led the class (all smiles when he saw me) into the library. They turned their books in on the cart and then sat down for the Librarian to read them a story. I checked in all 20 something books and then got to staple Library agreements on the wall of the school's main corridor. (The children signed that they were responsible for their library books). I must say that there is something therapeutic about smacking that stapler against the wall. A nice break from all other outside responsibilities! I didn't get too much time to do that though, because Kindergarteners pick books out really fast! I guess since they can't really read yet, they are more anxious to grab their books & be first in line to check them out. I heard Bubs proudly mention to other kids that I was "HIS mommy". A smile rose between the two of us! And before I knew it, time was up, the students walked in a line out the door back to their classroom.

The time passed way too fast! I'll be back next week for more volunteer work!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

It's been a while since I checked in at your blog--I'm loving it! And let me just say, if you do take a Disney cruise to Alaska, you KNOW you have to call me. I will drive to Ketchikan, just to see you again! Love, Alicia