One day after school started, K came home & told me that she shouldn't watch TV in the morning before school. Mrs. Brown said so. That she needs to get her mind ready for school & that she should read to warm her mind up.
Thank you Mrs. Brown!
At Back to School Night the teacher told us that the first day, she asked the kids how many of them watched TV in the morning before school. Over 1/2 the class happily raised their hands up high. Good, I was not alone! I've always hated having the TV on, but with a 4 year old who wakes up on his own before 6am, I was not sure what to do with him, while I was still getting ready. I always thought that was the easiest solution. But, as of last Friday, things have changed in our household. I told both of them no TV before school starting Monday.
So, the night before - I lay their clothes out in their room. When they wake up, thats the first thing they do - get dressed. Then they sit at the table & eat their breakfast while I turn on the Ipod to the K&Bubs playlist. When Bubs asks "What do I do now mommy?" I ask him if he has his hat & book for school. Please brush your teeth. If then there is still extra time - find something to do. I've praised them everyday for getting ready & out the door without any hassles. With extra time - I've found them dancing to the music, putting a puzzle together, & today Bubs colored a picture for his teachers at school. There haven't been any struggles. They have been getting a better more fullfilling breakfast. We've been early to get out the door every day. And we are all pretty much in a good mood!
I told K that I really like our mornings & thank you - its easier to get out of the house. She said "Yeah, because you don't have to do much anymore." That's RIGHT! She's a big kid now (a FIRST GRADER) and she should be doing these things herself. Bubs too!
Thank you again Mrs. Brown.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment