K's girl scout troop was invited to an event at Dublin Iceland last night. I had RSVPed for 3 of us last month. It was Monday night football so I didn't know if daddy would join us. Turned out we all went as a family - we went ICE SKATING!
I had agreed to let daddy go ahead and skate with the kids. But, after tying up their skates and watching him juggle the 2 kids I ran to the front door to see if it was too late to join them. For one, I was anxious to get out there on ice skates myself. And for 2 - I thought he could definitely have used my help! They were 2 kids that have never been on skates before hugging the rail.
Bubs really surprised us though. He wanted to do it all by himself. He'd skate a few steps, fall down, get right back up, skate some more and then do it all over again. By the end of the night, his gloves, pants and bottom of his shirt were all soaked with ice. Reminded me of Bambi at times, slipping all over the ice. I was really impressed with both kids though for first timers. K was a little more hesitant but got the hang of it and only fell a few times. Mostly she and I held hands as we step and glidded around the ice rink. Daddy stuck with Bubs although he didn't want ANY help. He was a very determined little fellow. Definitely the type of activity he needs to be more involved in to exert all his energy.
We skated from 6:45 to almost 8pm. I had heard some kids make it around the ice once and end up in tears because they are so frustrated and want to quit. My kids ended up in tears because it was time to leave - K had tears rolling down her cheeks. We were one of the first to go (and only by 10 min or so), but it was 8pm and their bedtime. She woke up this morning and already asked to go skating again.
A successful night! And fun family event making it feel even more like the holidays! Nothing better than bundling up in layers, ski hats, gloves, and ice skating to Christmas music with the family! The girl scouts even treated to hot chocolate and cookies. What a memorable evening. (We won't forget it either this morning - as daddy & I get older, there's a little more aches and pains after ice skating!)
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment